Sunday, December 20, 2009
I have been a little out of touch over the last week because life has been crazy - some planned events and some unexpected activities! I think the best way to review the week is with bullet points.
- Monday - We hosted a Christmas cookies exchange with some mom's and their little girls (one little brother tagged along because his dad had to work late - he didn't seem to mind being the only boy). We ended up with about 8 different kinds of Christmas cookies - that is the way to make the perfect plate of Christmas cookies without having to bake them all!!
- Tuesday - We had a wonderful, lengthy playdate with a friend who is the sister of our babysitters. She is in 4th grade and the girls had a BLAST playing with her and I really enjoyed my visit with her mom who is a dear friend of mine. Tuesday night, Kevin had a client event so he had to work extremely late. The girls and I had an early dinner and the girls hit the sack by 7.
- Wednesday (here is where we took a detour in our plans) - We were going to have an easy day at home getting school work done and playing, but little Daphne Jane had other plans. She woke up with a fever. . . AGAIN. . . and I took her to the doctor just thinking her ears were not clearing up from the previous ear infection. By the time we got to the doctor, her fever was 103.3. The doctor checked her ears - while she thought they looked clear, she didn't seem totally confident. She kept saying, "I think they look okay." They did a flu culture, strep culture, and took a urine sample, but of which came back negative. The doctor asked another doctor to come in to look in Daphne's ears to confirm and that doctor also said, "the right one looks great and I think the left one is okay." They were concerned, though, that she had such a high fever when she was still on her antibiotic from the earlier ear infection. They sent us to the hospital to get some blood work done. About an hour later, the doctor's office called telling me to take Daphne to the hospital immediately - her white blood cell count was really high. I dropped the girls off at my friend, Cherie's house (thank you Cherie - you are a God-send!) and drove Daphne to the ER at Progress West. Kevin met me there (my sister came later to check in and then picked up the girls to take them home and put them in bed). After attempting 4 times to get her blood, the nurses finally got a sample to send away for a blood culture. They gave her a 24 hour antibiotic and sent us home about 6 hours later. She still had a high fever - 104.4, but the doctor thought we could manage the fever ourselves with motrin. No one slept much that night - Daphne was awake and crying about every hour and a half.
- Thursday - I already had plans to take Norah and Lucy to see the Nutcracker performed by the St. Louis Ballet. Kevin really thought we should go ahead and go and he would take Daphne back to the doctor (they wanted to see her first thing in the morning). The girls had a blast at the Nutcracker - although, Lucy started to get antsy after about an hour. It was an excellent production! Daphne ended up having another ear infection - not sure if it was missed but the 3 doctors the day before or if it just came on all of the sudden. She is now on a new antibiotic - hopefully this one works. My sister and I took my mom and grandma to see White Christmas at the Fox. We went to dinner first and then to the show - it was wonderful and we had a great time. We didn't get home until almost midnight and then Daphne was awake again. . .A LOT, so we didn't get much sleep that night either.
- Friday - We hung out with my grandma and mom in the morning. They headed out after lunch and we cleaned and cooked like crazy (well, I did. The girls just played and rested). We had our new pastor and his family over for dinner. We had a really great time. They have 3 girls, too, right around our girls' ages!
- Saturday - Kevin and Lucy did some Christmas shopping then Norah and I did some. I baked and wrapped presents then we headed out to another Christmas party with the Goods, the Bohlmanns, and the Biggers.
- Today - Church, of course. The girls' classes had birthday parties for Jesus - complete with cupcakes! We are headed to yet another Christmas party this evening.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
This idea was spurred on by a discussion with some friends last week:
Monday, December 7, 2009
I was hoping to post about all the great things that I got accomplished over the weekend because Kevin took Norah and Lucy to Indy to see his parents. However, my plans changed drastically when Daphne needed to go the the ER in the middle of the night on Friday night. She was barking/coughing and gasping for air - all of this came on very suddenly because she was totally fine during the day on Friday. As it turns out she has croup. Blah. I spent most of the weekend snuggling and rocking a very unhappy baby. I actually thought she was starting to feel better yesterday, but then she started rubbing her ear so I just knew something else was going on.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
So I missed posting something yesterday, but I still did 30 in the month of November. I may need to take a week off - I am out of post ideas!!!
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Here are a couple of new blogs that I am loving!!
Friday, November 27, 2009
Has anyone heard of the Accountable Kids program?
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Busy cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning. Oh, and cooking, too!! We are hosting Thanksgiving this year! My family is all coming over.
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Monday, November 23, 2009
And the winner of my giveaway is. . . . .Misti! Congrats, Misti!!
Sunday, November 22, 2009
- One more day to enter my giveaway! Check it out!!
- My friend, Andrea, who is Mrs. America competed in the Mrs. World Pageant in Vietnam and came in as 1st runner-up! Congrats Andrea!!!
- We have had INCREDIBLE weather this weekend!! After a week of rain - we are soaking up the warmer weather!! The girls helped Kevin put up Christmas lights outside yesterday! Kevin likes to take advantage of the nice weather to get the lights up!! We just do white lights on the house and some pre-lit garland on the porch. Simple. Lucy commented on the way to church that another house looks prettier than ours. This house had TONS of "toys" in the yard. Santa, reindeer, snowmen, angels, etc.
- After 7 months, our new pastor finally received his visa! We are so excited to see how God works through him over the coming year!!
- We are having Thanksgiving at our house and I am so excited to have everyone here!! The girls are excited to play with their cousins.
- I sold a couple of aprons last weekend and had a custom request so I am working on that today.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Norah: "Our neighbors on the West get all the way on the top roof of their house to put up Christmas lights."
Friday, November 20, 2009
Here is my flashback for this week.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Just curious to know:
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Just realized that I never posted yesterday! We had a little bit of a crazy day. It seems like I am having a hard time keeping the house in order so when we have company coming, I have to run around, cleaning like a mad woman!!
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Friday, November 13, 2009
I feel like I have posted so much since Nov. 1 that I don't have much to say today! Except that I have only had 4 people respond to my giveaway. I have to say that is a little depressing. Okay, so "depressing" may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm pretty sure more than 4 people read my blog - and most of them have children. I thought giving away a Christmas picture book would be fun, but clearly no one else thinks so. I certainly don't mind picking out of 4 people - but seriously, 4 people?!
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Yesterday, Norah came up to me and said, "Can you give me $3000?"
I had high hopes for our dinner tonight. I mean, how can you go wrong with pumpkin, mascarpone cheese and pine nuts (three of my favorite ingredients)? Seriously! Well, it didn't go as expected!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
1. Finish 4 aprons
Monday, November 9, 2009
Sunday, November 8, 2009
As mentioned yesterday, I am working on our lesson plans for December. Last year we borrowed this idea and we wrapped up 25 Christmas books. The girls opened one every night and we read that book at bedtime. They LOVED it!!
For those of you in the St. Louis area (or the Midwest, for that matter), hasn't this weekend's weather been INCREDIBLE?
I know I missed posting yesterday - but following Nicole's lead, I will post 2 today!!
Friday, November 6, 2009
This is a favorite of mine!!
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Just wanted to share 3 websites/blogs that I recently found that I LOVE! I have gotten some really great ideas for school stuff for the girls!!
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Heather's Nablopomo schedule includes Top 10 Tuesday. I thought I would participate with this one!!
Monday, November 2, 2009
Today Norah said, "When we move (again not in the plans - she is just dreaming), I really want a house that looks like a palace in the front."
Sunday, November 1, 2009
I am going to attempt to join the NaBloPoMo train and blog everyday in the month of November. Instead of totally following Heather's schedule, though, I am going to post something specific about what the girls (maybe not all 3 in each post) are doing.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Last night we had a Halloween party with some of our friends who also homeschool. The kids all came in costumes and looked adorable. We played some games, read a story, did a craft and ate LOTS of food!
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
As heard by Norah during lunch today, "I know what I want for Christmas. I want my own room, but I know Santa can't give me that. I can have my own room when we move."
Friday, October 16, 2009
Thursday, October 15, 2009
My lunchtime conversation with Lucy:
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
We have had an interesting day with Lucy today. She still isn't feeling well and isn't napping (due to not finger sucking) - not a good combination!
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
I have a new little nephew, Alex Ignacio. He is 7 pounds 7 ounces and 19 inches long.
Monday, October 12, 2009
When Daphne was weighed at the doctors office today she weighed 15 1/2 pounds (she will be 9 months this week)! I seriously thought she would be close to 17 or maybe even 18 pounds! She is actually smaller than Norah was at 9 months by about 1 1/2 pound and Lucy by 2 1/2 pounds. Hmmm. We go next week for her 9 month check - I'll be curious to see if the doctor has anything to say about her weight!!
We went camping over the weekend, so I have a lot of pictures to post, but right now I have 2 sickos - yet again. I know it is only October - it is going to be a LONG winter. Daphne and Lucy both have bad colds - the type where you are wiping their noses every 2 minutes. I wish I was kidding - it is disgusting! They both have coughs - Lucy's is croupy sounding, but our doctor doesn't like us to give any kind of cough medicine. We steamed up the bathroom and she and I sat in their for awhile tonight. You can tell they both feel miserable and Daphne is not sleeping well. I took Daphne to the doctor today - thinking she had an ear infection, but her ears were fine, thankfully!
Thursday, October 8, 2009
After the torrential downpour we have experienced the WHOLE day, I decided for our science today we would talk about weather. We used the Usborne Children's Internet Linked Encyclopedia. We read the pages on weather and then used Usborne Quicklinks. Norah and Lucy looked at a variety of activities and websites related to the weather. I usually try to follow Norah's lead with what she wants to learn more about - today it was snowflakes. I'm thinking rain, thunder - you know, things that we are actually seeing today. No, Norah wants to learn about snowflakes. Okay, so we looked at a variety of snowflakes and talked about how no two snowflakes are the same. We learned how to fold a square piece of paper and then to cut it out to look like a snowflake. One more thing that I LOVE about homeschooling is that we can go off in a direction totally different than we had planned. We still go our math, reading, science and art in today! So fun!!
I am doing a Bible study at church called Live a Praying Life by Jennifer Kennedy Dean. For someone who grew up in the church, there is a lot that I don't know about prayer. So far this has been an excellent study!
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Kevin and I spent the weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks with our small group from our church. We had a great time! We shopped, hiked, ate, and played games. The kids stayed with my parents so it was a nice weekend away, but I am always glad to get home to the girls!!!
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Posted by Heather S. at 7:56 AM
Friday, September 25, 2009
It has only been 5 days since Norah lost her first tooth, but tooth #2 came out too! She was even more traumatized this time. I thought she would be excited to get more money from the tooth fairy. Go figure.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
The gloves at bedtime for Lucy - NOT going well! We are 4 nights in and Lucy has SCREAMED every night and naptime! She hasn't had a nap all week and she is exhausted! Our normally happy child, who never gets mad or angry or grumpy has been a grump all week! She is in her room right now crying and yawning and crying! I'm not sure what to do at this point because breaking Norah's habit was not this rough! We have even tried laying with her, but she tosses and turns and cries.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
If anyone is interested, the Mrs. America pageant in on right now - online. My friend, Andrea won!
Posted by Heather S. at 9:14 PM
Sunday, September 20, 2009
I know I just posted a couple of days ago that Norah had a loose tooth, but it came out ALREADY!! She was incredibly traumatized by it. She was in the basement playing and came up crying hysterically! I just knew that her tooth came out!
Remember this? We didn't have much luck with Lucy last year - she screamed and would sleep or nap. We decided that she was too little to give up naps so we stopped putting gloves on her after a couple of day. We decided to try it again with Lucy. My main reason for doing it now is that the girls get sick much more often than some of their friends because they always have (had - in Norah's case) their fingers in their mouth. Okay, ALWAYS is probably an extreme, but Lucy does suck her fingers a lot!! I am a little obsessive about hand washing - I even make them wash hands every time they touch a library book.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Wow - 8 months!! Daphne has really changed over the last month!! She is officially crawling - as of about 2 weeks ago. At first she just crawled around whatever room she was in - now, however, she crawls EVERYWHERE!! She seems to like the kitchen right now - maybe she likes the feel of the cold tile on her legs. I don't know, but whether someone is in the kitchen or not, she often crawls there and just sits.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Norah is working on a little project for math so she created 2 polls in my sidebar - What is your favorite color? and What is your favorite season?
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Baby dolls probably don't like guacamole or pepsi, so there was no need for me to drop mine on Lucy's doll.
Posted by Heather S. at 7:48 PM
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Congrats to my friend, Andrea!! She was Mrs. Missouri and last night won the Mrs. America Pageant!!
Friday, September 4, 2009
We have now completed 2 weeks of school. We did a lot and had a lot of fun!!