Sunday, September 20, 2009

Remember This?

Remember this? We didn't have much luck with Lucy last year - she screamed and would sleep or nap. We decided that she was too little to give up naps so we stopped putting gloves on her after a couple of day. We decided to try it again with Lucy. My main reason for doing it now is that the girls get sick much more often than some of their friends because they always have (had - in Norah's case) their fingers in their mouth. Okay, ALWAYS is probably an extreme, but Lucy does suck her fingers a lot!! I am a little obsessive about hand washing - I even make them wash hands every time they touch a library book.


The process didn't go as smoothly with Norah as a few people had told us, but after about 6 months of off and on wearing gloves, Norah now has not sucked her fingers for about 6 months. However, Norah didn't really cry about wearing the gloves. She just sort of seemed to accept it and was okay with it. She never tried to get the tape off and at one point we stopped taping the gloves - she just left them on.

Lucy is just a little ornerier so I told Kevin that the process might be worse. I had a feeling she would cry and carry on, but since they have already been sick (Lucy got it first) - I am READY to break Lucy's habit!!

We put the gloves on her last night and Lucy kept saying, "I don't want to wear gloves!" and she started picking at the tape right away. We knew that as soon as the lights were out, she wouldn't be able to find the end of the tape. I also had a feeling that Lucy would cry - and I was right . We ended up putting Lucy in our bed - so she wouldn't bother Norah. I also laid with her for about 30 minutes - she was not asleep, but was totally quiet when I left the room. Kevin moved her to her own bed around 9 - we didn't hear anything from her until 6:30 this morning. We let her get in bed with us for a little while. Overall, I think Lucy did fine - except she has been cranky this morning. Lucy is now like Norah was - anything silky triggers the finger sucking so we have to put her blanket up during the day. She is NOT happy about that!

Naptime will be interesting. I have a feeling Lucy will be done with naps because of this. As long as she has some quiet time in her room - I am okay with that. Maybe she will go to sleep better at night without an afternoon nap.

I totally forgot to take a picture of her last night - I will do that tonight!!

1 comments:

Dan and Amanda said...

Good luck! Keep us posted :)