Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dinner Flopped!

I had high hopes for our dinner tonight. I mean, how can you go wrong with pumpkin, mascarpone cheese and pine nuts (three of my favorite ingredients)? Seriously! Well, it didn't go as expected!


This is what I made. . . . .I mean, attempted to make.

Making the filling was easy. I use pie pumpkins regularly now during the fall season. Once you make a pumpkin pie with a pie pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin, you may never go back! It is incredible! (For those of you who don't know, I LOVE pumpkin - almost anything pumpkin. Growing up in the the "Pumpkin Capital of the World," how can I not? Right?) I already had some pumpkin that I had roasted, pureed and froze.

The hard part was making the pasta. I have only ever made homemade noodles for chicken noodle soup, but have wanted to try ravioli. First of all, I rolled and rolled and rolled the dough until I didn't think I could roll it any thinner. In the end, after they cooked in the boiling water, they were WAY too thick. Also, there was A LOT of filling and not nearly enough pasta dough - I actually made 2 batches of the dough. About half of the ravioli didn't seal so the filling came out in the boiling water. The pasta was just bland. . . blah! The filling was decent, I think, but it was hard to tell under all that thick, bland pasta!!

Everyone tried some, but the girls filled up on bread and applesauce and Kevin and I are considering ordering a pizza.

The worst part about making a meal that doesn't turn out - especially one that is challenging to make - is that you still have to clean up the mess! Ick!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Sorry your supper didn't turn out. It is so disappointing when you put so much effort into a meal and look forward to it and it doesn't turn out. At least you weren't planning on serving it to company. I've never made homemade ravioli but I think it is a lot of work.

Unknown said...

Wow--that recipe looks different & good--but I would never attempt it! :) I've never made homemade pasta in my life . . . nor have I made anything w/ "real" pumpkin!

However, I'm a true-blue Mortonite in that I like almost anything "pumpkin"!