Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thoughts for Thursday

I don't regularly participate in Thoughts for Thursday (does anyone anymore?), but I decided to go for it today. I am having an inner struggle going on right now so I thought I would post about it. I am suffering from "Idle Hands syndrome."


There are a couple of verses in the Bible that touches on this. Ecclesiastes 10:18 says "If a man is lazy, the rafters sag; if his hands are idle, the house leaks." Ecclesiastes 11:6 says, "Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let not your hands be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well."

Like most moms, I have a million things to accomplish in a day, but do I do any of them? Not really. I do the basic day to day things like feed, bathe, and clothe my children. I keep the laundry caught up for the most part. We read and play together, but seriously other than that I don't do a whole lot. When we are having people over, I stress out because I have to clean the whole house all at one time. Luckily for everyone in our family we have people over about once a week, so the main floor and the basement are cleaned that often. The upstairs is totally different. It is a mess. A. BIG. FAT. MESS! There are clothes, shoes, books, hair stuff, baby stuff, bath toys, etc. all over the second floor! I just can't seem to motivate myself to go up there and tackle the mess. Just thinking about it makes me have a mini panic attack!! It is ridiculous. Funny thing is that I don't like messes and clutter, but I am so overwhelmed that I don't even know where to begin.
Besides the mess upstairs, my laundry room is a mess, my refrigerator needs to be cleaned out, the school shelves need to be purged and organized, and these are the most important things at this point. I also would love to not have to run around mad crazy before people come over! I would love some sort of organization in this house!! It is driving me crazy!!!

I guess the struggle is that I want to have a nice, clean, organized house, but I also want to enjoy my children. I want them to enjoy being young and at home with mommy. I am so thankful that I can stay home with the girls, but I don't want to waste time doing things that really are not that important.

One would think I could use their naptimes to get a few things accomplished, but nope. I usually end up blogging, watching TV (or channeling surfing), napping or reading. I'm totally being lazy! What am I doing right now while Daphne naps and Norah and Lucy are playing together? Oh, right, I am BLOGGING!!

I certainly didn't learn to be lazy from either of my parents. They are both busy doing stuff all the time. Sure they relax and watch TV or read in the evenings, but that is after my dad has worked in the yard, moved 3000 pounds of boulders, and built a trellis and my mom has made cookies for all the neighbors and everyone else she knows who might enjoy some, made dinner for someone who had a baby, made bibs and hooded bath towels, helped my grandma with stuff and babysat my niece. They deserve to sit and relax a little. I on the other hand, do not deserve it at this point.
Maybe I should start by making a master to do list (nothing like still putting things off by appearing to be productive!! Ha!) and slowly try to cross things off.

Okay, your turn. Anyone else feel like I do - or am I totally crazy? Any suggestions on how to keep up with things here and still be able to enjoy my girls?

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Honestly, I AM a big fan of the "master to-do list." Not that I work through it as quickly as I'd like (I could echo this post), but it does help. I have it posted inside a cabinet door, and I love to cross something off when it's done!

I'll tell you, too, that posting picture of your problem areas on your blog is a good motivator to get moving!

PS...you don't seem lazy to me.

heather said...

Um, are you sure that's your Heather signature at the end of that post or was it written by this Heather? Seriously. Pretty much word for word.
I try to tell myself it's worse now because I have this whole "summer lazy" mindset. I'm all about being at the pool and letting the kids play and when I have a free moment I want to play too (usually online).
But I've been feeling really convicted of it lately as well. But still I sit and do nothing more than I have to. I have a dozen house projects this summer I want to get done and I can't even get motivated enough in the little things to be ready to tackle the bigger ones.
Hmmm... how do we give ourselves (each other?) a kick in the pants?

Jackie said...

First of all, you are not lazy and your girls are going to have lots of wonderful memories of special times with their mother. Secondly, you have 3 children 5 and under and one is a 5 month old baby.
Now for words of wisdom -I get much more done the days the computer is out of commission or I just decide to keep it off. Also I always have a list of things to do and if I accomplish a project, I reward myself by reading, sewing, baking, writing letters - just doing the things I enjoy.
My house wasn't always clean when I had 4 little ones running around either. Remember Ecc. 3:1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven; There is a time for cleaning and a time for playing and giving attention to your children and there is a happy medium in between. I think you do a great job in balancing all you do for others and your family. Someday your house will be perfect except it will be too quiet. Just let God help you decide what your priorities should be day by day.

Unknown said...

Heather, I really like your mom's comments & Bible reference, and I hope you take them to heart. Always, always remember that you ARE doing the most important job in the world--raising your daughters full-time. Your house sounds "good enough." Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can--or should--do everything that you *think* other women are doing.