Friday, June 5, 2009

No One Said Parenting Was Easy

I know I haven't posted recently - we have had a rough week with Norah. I'm not going into too many details - I know Grandpa Steve doesn't like to read the negative things about his grandkids. Let's just say we are experiencing some behaviors that are typically seen in 2 year olds - but Norah never did as a 2 year old.


We (when I say we, I mean me - Kevin was at work) were faced with a situation today that was incredibly frustrating. We have taken things away from her and sent her to her room, but nothing has worked. Today I had had ENOUGH.

She was supposed to go to a birthday party tonight of one of her good friends from church. Since it was time to step it up a notch and I told Norah, "You are not going to the party and I am calling Kate's mom now." I called Karen right away and told her - I knew if I didn't call right away, I might change my mind.

So in the end. . . Lucy and I went to the party (the whole family was invited) without Norah. It was a really tough decision because I knew Norah would be DEVASTATED, but she has to learn that she has to be kind and obey.

Hopefully, the rest of the weekend will go smoothly.

On a lighter note, Daphne is now rolling over both ways. She is now a girl on the move. She hasn't figured out yet that she can get to something she wants, but it won't be long!

5 comments:

Melissa (aka Kitty) said...

We're starting to have issues as well. I asked Mike where has the sweetness gone? That's a good idea on the birthday party.

heather said...

Good for you on the birthday party. I know that was probably a hard decision... and hard to follow through with. I think I need to really get out the big guns and do something like that.

Savannah got in trouble big time this week (we only just found out about it last evening) and I'm trying to think of a good, somewhat logical, but DEVASTATING consequence to hopefully really shake her up and get her to take this seriously.
Can't wait to hear if this was a magical solve-it-all for Norah!!

Dan and Amanda said...

I've done the same thing with Maddy!!! I think it's important for our kiddos to know that their actions have consequences!!! Good for you, Heather. I know it was probably a hard decision to make.

Kyle Luke said...

Ugh. I'm sorry. I feel your pain.

Nicole said...

we talked, but I still have to say: good for you. Matt and I agreed that this was awesome (but hard) parenting...hoping that it had the impact you wanted it to!