Friday, September 5, 2008

Making Butter and Having a Tea Party

This week Norah's science topic was farm animals, specifically cows (letter c). We talked about dairy cows and things that come from milk. We made butter by shaking whipping cream in a baby food jar. It took about 20 minutes for the cream to solidify, then we poured out the excess liquid. The girls were quite amazed at this process.

When the girls woke up from their naps, Ihad a surprise tea party ready for them at their little table in the basement. We had crackers, the butter we made and V8 Fusion Strawberry Banana juice. We used the china the my grandma gave me when Kevin and I got married. Seriously, the china has only been used once, I think. It was perfect for today. When the girls woke up I told them I had a surprise for them and they needed to put dresses on (this alone made Norah's day!). We went to the basement and they saw this:

They were both delighted and enjoyed having a tea party! Norah said, "I know! We could do this everyday."


After we had our little snacks we read Winter Days in the Big Woods (talks briefly about making butter) and The Best Tea Party Ever.

If anyone knows of any other books about tea parties - let me know. Although we won't have a tea party everyday, I would like to do this maybe once a month or two.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Heather! Found your blog on Sara Wiety's blog. Have you read "Little Miss Spider's Tea Party" by David Kirk? It's about Little Miss Spider wanting to find friends to invite to her tea party. It's really cute. I read it to my preschoolers every year when it's time for a tea party. They love it.

Unknown said...

What a special treat to wake up to. I may have a tablecloth or two that you could have. One is a white or off white crochet and you could get different color liners to go underneath.